UFC star Jon Jones has broken his silence with an emotional message to supporters after being ruled out of UFC 295 with an injury.
On Wednesday, UFC president Dana White revealed that Jones tore a tendon in his pectoral muscle and will be out for eight months- meaning he had to withdraw from his fight with Stipe Miocic on November 12th.
In response, White swiftly announced that English star Tom Aspinall will now face Sergei Pavlovich for the interim heavyweight title.
Since the news, there’s been much discussion as to whether Jones will return to the octagon – given the lengthy lay-off that he now faces.
However, amid concerns from fans, Jones has taken to social media to put their nerves at ease and promise that he plans to re-book the fight ‘at a later date’.
Jon Jones took to Instagram to deliver an emotional message to supporters after his injury
Jones has been ruled out of UFC 295 with a pectoral injury and the bout has been replaced
Taking to Instagram, Jones said: ‘Obviously, very sad situation, very upset. But I’ve been through a lot of things in life, and injuries are a part of being an athlete. I want to thank the UFC for getting me in to one of the best doctors in the country.
‘I wanted to say thank you to Stipe Miocic for all the work that he’s put in. Also, sorry to Stipe and his team. Like I said, this comes with the territory.
‘The goal is to get surgery and get back to work as soon as possible. I guess it will be Stipe and I at a later date, and that’s my plan.
‘Hopefully, these other heavyweights, Aspinall and Sergei, put it on a great show for you guys. I may even show up to the event to watch. But I love you all, and hey, your boy Jon Jones is doing OK.’
Fans were left heartbroken after White revealed that the man many regard as the greatest ever fighter will be sidelined for eight months and Aspinall vs Pavlovich will take place for the interim heavyweight title.
The UFC president said: ‘Jon Jones was training last night, got injured, he was wrestling and he tore the tendon that connects your pec to to the bone, off the bone. [Out] eight months, going to need surgery. He’s out.’
Jones had eyed his bout with Miocic as potentially the last of his decorated career.
He believed that victory over the consensus best heavyweight ever would further solidify his own legacy.
Jones’ last outing saw him demolish Ciryl Gane inside one round back in March this year
Tom Aspinall (L) and Sergei Pavlovich (R) will now fight for the heavyweight interim title
Jones made his long-awaited return to action earlier this year, roughly three years after vacating his light-heavyweight crown to move up a division.
He had won a record 14 title fights and is now on a 19-fight unbeaten streak having beaten Ciryl Gane for the vacant heavyweight belt.
Jones was suspended for a year in 2016 for a failed drug test and had his 2017 victory over Daniel Cormier turned into a no-contest after another drug test came up positive.
The United States Anti-Doping Agency changed the criteria for what constitutes a positive test in 2019, and Jones let it be known he would have passed under the revised standards.
Share or comment on this article:
Jon Jones breaks silence after being forced to withdraw from UFC 295 with a pectoral injury, as ‘Bones’ issues apology to Stipe Miocic and confirms wish to re-book heavyweight title bout